Last week, I was invited to attend an empowerment program for children. As luck would have had it (did I tell you that I do not have a nanny?), my little one decided to have a tummy ache bad enough to warrant a day off from school. Well, there I was nursing my girl to health while still thinking of a way to attend the event. Should I take her along? Nah!, cause that would mean handing over my phone to this overly smart 5 year old for a good one hour of uninterrupted gaming (something she does not have the pleasure of unless heavens are falling). Just then, I happened to chat with a savior-of-a-friend who informed me that her daughter was at home too on account of a school holiday. Within the next hour, after completing all that needed to be done around the house, I dropped off my daughter for a play-date at hers while at the same time thanked her profusely.
The empowerment program was conducted by a regional group called I Can which is essentially a self-development and coaching organization for kids between 8-12 years old. It is the mastermind of two lovely, young moms – Dana Barto and Rowan Atiya who double up as Life Coaches in their professional capacity. The session started with the ladies explaining how this venture of theirs came into existence.
Based on substantiated research conducted by them, they realized that the Number 1 desire parents have, is for their kids to have ‘positive’ self-image and self-worth. Self-confidence is the reason behind why one child shines, while another seems to struggle with behavioral and social issues. With several years of working with kids behind them, this was a subject close to their hearts. It was then they decided to join hands with a common agenda – to work towards coaching kids and transforming them into confident, responsible and empowered individuals.
The 2-hour session was largely centered around discussions on how kids accept and value themselves, get along with others, perform at school, achieve in extracurricular activities and handle challenges. Parents shared their views on other sub-topics such as ‘our expectation from kids’, ‘different styles of parenting’ and ‘critical life skills for survival’. Overall, it was a lively group of moms discussing their parenting challenges while the hosts patiently answered their questions one at a time.
My personal take-away from the session can be summarized as follows:
- While you may think that you love your child and do a lot for him/her, they might not think the same.
- Every interaction with the child, no matter how small contributes towards shaping their personality.
- Your child would appreciate you more if you act like a teacher/coach rather than a sergeant!
Other programs for kids
I CAN Self Development Programs for Kids focus on mindset growth, through four unique and powerful certified programs implemented by kids coaches in more than 20 countries.
Confidence Seeds – Grow Your Inner Confidence and Achieve Better Results in School, Sport and Friendships.
No More Peer Pressure – Make Decisions You Are Proud Of.
The Secret To Make Your Dreams Come True – Turn Your Cant’s Into Can’s and Your Dreams Into Plans.
Kicking Fear – Learn to Bust Through Fear, Mistakes Failure and Change.
To know more about their programs, click here.
Key facts about I Can Personal Development for Kids
- As an organization with collective decades of working with kids, their goal is to empower kids through coaching, and help them grow their mindset, see their strengths and teach them to create a successful life with self-confidence and self-esteem.
- They are associated and licensed by Adventures in WisdomTM. Adventures in WisdomTM is a Continuing Program, approved by the International Coach Federation Continuing Coach Education Program (ICF-CCE) and utilized by coaches in more than 30 countries across the world.
- They work in partnership with schools and educational organizations, providing a range of powerful programs to enhance kids’ mindset growth.
- Their programs are holistic. Since they believe that parents and teachers play a key role in reinforcing the children’s’ growth and development, I CAN has special programs designed to provide parents and teachers with knowledge, skills and tools to support and sustain the children with their mindset growth.
- Their programs are delivered by highly qualified coaches, through a combination of methods including, teaching, coaching, story telling, and fun activities.
If you are ready to make a difference in the lives of your kids, you may contact team I can as follows:
Rowan Atiya, Mobile 971 55 412 5363
Dana Barto, Mobile +971 50 847 3602