The most painful thing for any parent on the face of this earth is to deal with the death of their child. One can never get over this pain, neither does it lessen with time. However, if you have a heart as big as that of Sandrine, you can eventually find ways to deal with it.
Sandrine is a mother who is grieving the loss of her new born – baby Lucia Maria who was born 29w+4d premature. The baby subsequently died of an IVH grade 4 on the 10th of November after 51 days in NICU (neonatal Intensive Care Unit) in Mediclinic city hospital in Dubai. Lucia was her first-born and the pain of losing her was inexplicable. However, Sandrine decided to channel her grief towards a very noble cause.
She came up with a ‘Survivor’s guide in Dubai’s NICU’ to help all other mums who might find themselves in a situation similar to hers. She wanted them to know that they were not alone and there was no need to be frightened and clueless about the NICU world. She wanted to reach out to anybody who was in her position at the moment, or could possibly be in the near future. Her objective was clear – she wanted to make her baby doll’s little life count for something meaningful. And she did.
In this detailed guide, you can find information on virtually everything that a new mom entering an NICU should know:
- what support groups you can contact here in Dubai
- the common rules in NICU
- what happens the first day you leave the hospital and come back at home alone without your baby that is still in NICU
- what are all the machines surrounding your baby
- the logistics of having a baby in NICU (insurance issues etc)
- breastfeeding tips to inspirational quotes
- What to do when you finally bring your preemie back home
- A glossary about all the medical terms nurses and doctors use
- How to cope, how to be a parent
- And a success story of course
To read more on this, please access her blog on nicudubai.wordpress.com. You can also contact her on her email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Mothers like Sandrine are truly made up of different stuff. From one mother to another , the least we can do is share this guide and spread the word to all the other women in our network. I have just done that, hope you do it too.
And finally, this post will be incomplete without a big shout out to fellow blogger Tani from ourbigdubaiadventure.com. Thank you for introducing Sandrine to us and restoring our faith in this world!